To help you figure out how to choose a stunt scooter for a beginner, first we’ll look at the fundamental difference between a regular city and stunt scooters.
City scooters are designed to ride in convenience and comfort.
Therefore, in most cases, they come with an adjustable steering wheel,they can be folded, have large wheels for a comfortable ride on the streets, and may also have additional accessories: a bell, a flashlight, etc. Durability and manufacturing materials are of course important, but not critical.
The goal of stunt scooters is to allow the skater to perform complex stunts in the park or on the streets.
Thus, the most important characteristics are the weight and strength of the scooter. To make the construction as stable as possible:
- the height of the steering wheel is not adjustable
- the scooters do not fold
- the decks are made of the strongest metals and alloys
- the wheels are smaller due to speed and maneuverability need
- there are no extra elements to reduce weight.
Having understood the differences, we turn to the main question: how to choose the first stunt scooter?
The first thing you need to pay attention to is the height of the rider. Depending on the height, the steering wheel height will be selected, and since it is not adjustable in the stunt scooter, it is very important to choose everything correctly.
With a straight back, standing on a scooter, hands should be slightly bent. If the back is straight and outstretched arms hold the steering wheel - this option is also acceptable. But later, as the rider will be growing up, the steering wheel will need to be changed to a more suitable one, otherwise the load on the back will be increased significantly.
on the Rideoo website scooters indicate the height of the steering wheel (from the point of the handles to the deck). If you add 20-25 cm to this height, you can get the height of the whole scooter and understand how it suits you. The steering wheel is usually located in the hip area.
The second very important point is the planned riding style:.
- If you want to perform tricks in a skatepark, the weight of the scooter will play a key role: the lighter it is, the easier it is to jump.
- If there are no skateparks nearby, and the main style will be street riding, gliding over curbs, etc., it is better to choose a heavier scooter and a deck with a thicker layer of metal. Because of frequent riding and gliding, it is it the part that grinds the fastest.
A few words about the cost of various stunt scooters and what is the reason for such prices.
The cost will vary depending on what quality of the parts a particular model is assembled from:
- wheels: plastic (suitable for the very first jumps and stunts), aluminum (more durable and faster);
- steering system: standard, closed (more protected from sand, water, etc.)
- fork strength: the higher the steering wheel and the more exquisite the tricks, the greater should be the strength of the fork.
Our budget recommendations for stunt scooters depending on the level of riding:
- The first scooter for a smaller child: 80 - 130 euros.
- Amateur rider, but with some knowledge and practice 120-180 euros.
- An experienced rider: from 200 euros.
The more complex tricks you need to perform, the more reliable all parts must be. In the case of stunt scooters, the price is determined by the quality, longevity and, most importantly, the safety.
When purchasing a stunt scooter, be sure to buy a helmet and knee pads. Since falling is an inevitable part of stunt training, safety cannot be ignored.
And in conclusion, when the scooter will already become an part of your life - do not forget about the service. Once every few months, it’s worth coming and tightening the steering wheel up, cleaning the bearings from water and sand (or changing them). If this is not done on time, the parts can break down completely and their replacement will cost much more. At Rideoo, we provide the first few services and show the riders how and what to do on their own.
Choose the right scooter and let riding bring only pleasure!